So last week it was World Book Day. Working in a school we never pass up on the chance to get dressed up. All the staff were asked to dress as Wally from Where’s Wally.
In total I crocheted 4 hats and sold 3. I made up my own pattern and used inexpensive wool from a local charity shop. Had more people known I was making them, I think l could have sold lots more.
My Tshirt was £2.50 from Primark and I used red insulating tape for the stripes.
I was rather pleased with my effort,
However, my favourite costume was one worn by one of the children. A very blue faced Smurfette
I must admit at first I was a little confused. Where is the thick blanket of cloud that has been with us for months?
I can see the Sun! Better still, with very little breeze it’s really quite peasant out.
We’re heading over to see our friends’ new house and meet their new addition Garfield (pusscat). It would be rude to arrive empty handed so I’ve made him a toy that is stuffed FULL with catnip
It was great fun trying to crochet the ball closed whist fensing off our cats.
Whilst sorting through my yarn stash, I dug out all the magazine’s I had hidden away. Flicking through the pages I’ve found some lovely patterns that I could make, now my skill levels have increased.
Perusing the pages, I’ve stumbled upon a lovely triangular motif. I’ve started to crochet it but haven’t finished yet. I think you can see where it’s heading though.
I’m now thinking of ways I could use this motif. Any ideas?
It’s been a while since my last blog post but I’m back. I’m not exactly sure why there has been a lapse in bloggification but hopefully things will return to normal in 3, 2, 1….
I’ve finished my most recent creation The Staccato shawl featured in issue 50 of “Inside Crochet”. This was lovely to make, consisting of a pattern with three repeated rows to allow the shawl to grow and a simple edging. The Rowan cotton yarn was really enjoyable to work with; I shall be working with cotton and other such lighter yarns again!
The Shawl needed a good blocking before I was happy with the way it looked but I think it’s turned out great. I’m loving the triangular pattern and use of chaining.
Again lacking in willing models I did the job myself
Using this lovely vibrant cotton yarn has had an unsettling effect on me. I’m now looking at pricier yarns (such as Kidsilk Haze) with great longing and enthusiasm. This may be making my husband nervous
I’ve finished my second “Where’s Wally?” Hat. These are for costumes (pictures later this month).
My second attempt is a little more pleasing as the sides are a little tighter but both will do the job. No patterns just went with my Gut
I’m currently crocheting this shawl from a pattern in a magazine (issue 50 of “Inside Crochet”). I’m using my bargain cotton yarn I obtained at the weekend-Rowan Sienna 4 ply at half price!
Initially, the pattern seemed a bit fiddly but after a while the last three rows begin to repeat. This afternoon I found a rhythm and got quite a lot done.
Shawl in progress with supervisory cat
So after a teeny tiny set back the other day, my blanket is now back on track.
The pinks and greens look lovely together and I think once it’s at the size I want I’ll attach 5 or so crocheted roses. At the moment I’m not exactly sure where I’ll be able to block the blanket but it will definitely need it.
Considering I only started my blanket a week ago I’m pleased with how much it’s grown. This is mainly because I’m ever so slightly obsessed!
Every spare moment, I seem to have the blanket on my lap and a crochet hook in my hand. It’s lovely that being so simple I can just crochet without having to keep looking at a pattern. At one point I wasn’t having to look.
Then last night, I realised I’d missed a space and had to frog a round and a half- and now these rounds are getting big! Overconfidence? A bit gutted, I’m giving myself a night off from the blanket.
But a night off from crocheting?
Tonight I shall start my “Where’s Wally?” hat. There is a purpose to this that will be revealed in due course. Here’s the wool I’m going to use.
A week ago I started to crochet two amigurumi figures, though I’ve only worked on them during the weekends. Someone I work with asked me if I could make a bride and groom. I said I probably could and set about looking for patterns. There are a few nice pins on pinterest but nothing that really took my fancy so I decided to design my own.
I’m pleased with the finished figures. I’m especially satisfied with the small flowers that I used on the groom and the bouquet (thanks Pinterest); the colour changes for the shirt, and the brides hair (which took most of last night). ￼
The parts that I found the most difficult to do were the faces. I’ve used wool for features in the past and it made the faces look ridiculous. This time l used thin thread which has worked much better. However, I do think that embroidery thread may have been the thread to have used… next time!
This is the first chance I’ve had to blog for a few days. I’ve had a really busy week and still seem to be catching up with myself -it was a great week though.
Even though I was working, training and commuting (not something I normally have to do) I still found time to crochet.
This is the start of my blanket that began working on on the train.
I’m also making a commissioned bride and groom. Hopefully, they will be complete tomorrow. I’ll post lots of pictures when I have better light.
Tonight, I’ve been working on the bride’s head and attaching hair.