I’m in the middle of rewriting the pattern for my sheep. Hopefully it will be about half the size of my larger sheep I made a couple of weeks ago. I’m happy with the way it’s turning out though it did take three attempts to get the head the right size. Resizing a pattern certainly isn’t a straightforward process.
I’m making it bit by bit as I write. My hope is that I’ll spot mistakes and problems as I go. It seems to be working so far.
Crocheting the fleece as I go has been much easier than leaving it until the end. Adding it to the legs before I joined them together proved much less fiddly; fleecing the body not having arms attached made the whole process much more manageable.
Now I need to make ears, a tail and the all important arms. 🙂
Two and half years in the making and finally my Lollo Bear is finished!
This project was started when I was quite new to crochet; I was slower and the organisation of all the motifs was a real struggle. I could feel the increased confidence and speed I now possess as I crocheted the arms and legs together this last week. It’s good to recognise and appreciate how far I’ve come.
The pattern for this project is available at ravelry by Heidi Bears (here). I love the care and attention the author has put into this pattern; it is incredibly detailed with lots of photos. It’s a big pattern though (huge actually) it’s split into several parts and, I thought, much too large to print. This wasn’t too much of a problem though as: the motif diagrams are on a checklist sheet, and the joining of motifs is similar throughout.
The arms and legs are attached via buttons and are able to move. I’m looking forward to finding this bear a good home; I have a good idea where he’s going. 🙂
Whilst trying to declutter, I read a tip that suggested getting rid of old incomplete craft projects that were simply taking up space. My mind instantly flitted to a couple of projects that had stopped and just not progressed in a long time: an experimental scarf which was more about me testing out an idea, and Lollo the African flower bear (pattern can be found on ravelry).
Without any regret and wondering why I hadn’t done it sooner, I frogged (unravelled) the scarf and wound up the yarn into a ball. But as for my bear… No! There was no way I could throw away the body and head I’d made so long ago. It sat in a bag by the side of my bed waiting for me to be inspired- so sad.
I started crocheting this pattern at least two and half years ago. I made the head and body but got no further than making the motifs for the arms. I blogged about having stopped crocheting the bear (here) and had intentions to continue but alas untouched it sat.
The pattern is very detailed and broken into many parts. Being relatively new to crochet at the time I found its scope a little daunting. There were many motifs requiring various sized crochet hooks and a level of organisation I was struggling with.
If I wasn’t going to dispose of this unfinished project then there was only one thing to do; I needed to complete my bear.
That is exactly what I’ve been doing. Sadly, I’d long ran out of one of the colours of yarn that I had been using for the motifs so I had to be a little creative. I crocheted motifs using a different (but similar) colours and mixed these in with the arm motifs that I’d crocheted previously. It seems to be working and feels good to have made progress.
Tomorrow, I’ll post my finished bear. 🙂
I have finished the sheep I’ve been crocheting; it looks marvellous.
I’ve previously been referring to sheepy as a he but I’ve recently seen a female sheep name that I really like. I’m open to suggestions , any ideas?
The fleece really finishes him/her off. It was a great deal of work and I did have to take a break from it for a while but it works so well.
My sheep was very much based upon Lydia Tresselt’s Dirk the Dragon pattern from ravelry. Its a lovely pattern that provides a great body shape. The idea for the fleece was one I’ve used before on a previous sheep crocheted using a pattern from Toft’s Edward’s Menagierie.
I crocheted the scarf using the simple Tunisian crochet stitch. I like the addition of the scarf it just adds that little extra something. The yarn used is Sirdar Snuggly Snowdrop Chunky. Its a really attractive yarn but can be tricky to work with as the stitches can be a difficult to see if you are using a smaller crochet hook.
Ironically, the sheep contains no wool all yarns being synthetic or cotton blends. This was an intentional choice as I move away from using yarns and fibres from animal sources.