Several weeks ago I purchased a pattern for an amigurumi doll. His name is Dirk and I discovered him on Pinterest. Dirk the Dragon/Dinosaur
I loved making Dirk and he didn’t take long to crochet at all. The pattern was well written and easy to follow. Lydia Tresselt who designed Dirk has also written similar patterns for different dolls with the same sort of style. I shall definitely be buying more of her patterns in the future and perhaps adapting and tweaking the patterns to develop my own creations (I have ideas! 🙂 )
I showed the children I work with the legs I was making, just as I was joining them together. This lead to a discussion on trousers for cats and subsequently dungarees hehe. (more ideas… my poor cats!!!)
I’m sure I will attempt this pattern again. Next time, however, I shall make full use of invisible decreases as those on the head are really visible (I discovered invisible decreases two days after making the head).
I’m still a little in awe with how the ears are worked. They look quite complex but are actually relatively simple to put together.
The wool I used was Patons’-Smoothie except for the scarf which was Patons’- Colour Works Aran. The main colour was mainly blue with hints of purples. The Smoothie range is nice to work with, it rarely snags, and has a nice sort of shine to it. I found some rather lovely green buttons for eyes and crocheted the scarf rather than knitted (I tried to knit… much practise needed lol). I’m incredibly happy with the way Dirk came out 🙂
Here’s an amigurumi I made some time back. I’ve only made this once but really liked the pattern ( free and available here) and how some of the parts were crocheted. This fierce Little Dragon (pattern name) can also be found over on Shana Rae’s blog NYAD Designs http://nyaddesigns.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/ongar-the-dragon/.
I love how they body is one shaped piece of crochet; beginning by joining two small circles for the nose. The legs have shape to them and join nicely to the body. The spines are formed using a simple repeating pattern and look really effective- I’ve used these spines on some of the snow dragons I’ve made.
Spines and wings inspired by those on the Fierce Little Dragon
But the wings! These took me a while to grasp and were quite fiddly. This was my first try at frontpost stitches and perhaps the reason why I had so much difficulty. They look great though and I was really pleased. I’ve adapted (shrunk) the wings to fit some of the snow dragons I’ve made.
Sadly, this fierce little dragon disappeared shortly after I made him :-(. I took him to work to show off and I think one of the kids I teach accidentally took him home and took a liking to him. Or maybe …. maybe he flew away and is having some fantastic adventures somewhere (I like the thought of that more 🙂 )
Talking about this amigurumi is making me want to make another… watch this space 🙂
So after I made my zombie, I found a free pattern for a Baby Snow Dragon. I discovered it whilst exploring Pinterest and it was written by Marjorie Jones.
The pattern was easy to follow producing lots of parts to be stitched together.
I’ve made at least 8-10 Snow Dragons for other people. As my experience and skill has grown, I have changed aspects of the pattern such as ears, spikes and added wings.
Recently I’ve also made a larger baby snow Dragon using two balls of wool and a 6mm hook.
I love how cute they are and enjoy thinking of small ways I can make each one different. 🙂