I’m in the middle of rewriting the pattern for my sheep. Hopefully it will be about half the size of my larger sheep I made a couple of weeks ago. I’m happy with the way it’s turning out though it did take three attempts to get the head the right size. Resizing a pattern certainly isn’t a straightforward process.
I’m making it bit by bit as I write. My hope is that I’ll spot mistakes and problems as I go. It seems to be working so far.
Crocheting the fleece as I go has been much easier than leaving it until the end. Adding it to the legs before I joined them together proved much less fiddly; fleecing the body not having arms attached made the whole process much more manageable.
Now I need to make ears, a tail and the all important arms. 🙂
I have finished the sheep I’ve been crocheting; it looks marvellous.
I’ve previously been referring to sheepy as a he but I’ve recently seen a female sheep name that I really like. I’m open to suggestions , any ideas?
The fleece really finishes him/her off. It was a great deal of work and I did have to take a break from it for a while but it works so well.
My sheep was very much based upon Lydia Tresselt’s Dirk the Dragon pattern from ravelry. Its a lovely pattern that provides a great body shape. The idea for the fleece was one I’ve used before on a previous sheep crocheted using a pattern from Toft’s Edward’s Menagierie.
I crocheted the scarf using the simple Tunisian crochet stitch. I like the addition of the scarf it just adds that little extra something. The yarn used is Sirdar Snuggly Snowdrop Chunky. Its a really attractive yarn but can be tricky to work with as the stitches can be a difficult to see if you are using a smaller crochet hook.
Ironically, the sheep contains no wool all yarns being synthetic or cotton blends. This was an intentional choice as I move away from using yarns and fibres from animal sources.
Just an update on my crocheted sheep. The fleece is definitely getting there. Surely I’m will over half way.
I’m a little concerned that yesterday I started to talk to him as I was crocheting- stir crazy perhaps?
So I think I mentioned before I’m in the middle of making a doll… Inspired by another pattern I have.
The original pattern was for a dragon but I really liked the style and body shape. I’ve decided to make a sheep doll.
It all crocheted together quite quickly but then I decided to give him a fleece! It’s one of those ideas which sounds good but you very quickly realise was baaaaad(sorry couldn’t resist).
I’m single crocheting into the surface of the doll, chaining 8, missing a stitch and repeating up the body. I’ll have to do the other leg later.
I think it looks awesome but it’s taking a long time… Such a long time! I’m doing a baby blanket at the same time so I can flit from one to the other when I’ve had enough of the repetitiveness.
I have no doubt that my sheep will look great when he’s done though. 🙂
[Insert apologies for lack of posts]
Last week I decided I wanted to crochet a sheep or cow in the style of Dirk the Dragon by Lydia Tresselt (follow link to ravelry). I’ve used her lovely pattern to create a basic body shape to which I’m planning to add different ears, feet, hands and tail. I’m also planning on adding a surface crocheted fleece.
I’ve got quite a lot done in a short space of time and will add some updates as I progress!
Finally, the sheep I was making (from issue 13 of Simply Crochet) is finished. I’m really pleased with him and love the way the surface crochet has created his fleece.
Very quick update… My sheeps fleece is growing 🙂
This weekend I wasn’t sure what to crochet. Then I remembered an Amigurumi sheep I’d seen in issue 13 of simply crochet.
￼ I tweaked the pattern slightly to make the arms a little shorter. Also, I added a little more shaping to the ears.I think it’s coming together quite nicely. ￼
The pattern was nice and straight forward. ￼ The tail didn’t say it was stuffed but I added a little. It gives the sheep a little more stability when sat. ￼
Now, I think he looks pretty good as he is but the pattern explains how to add a fleece. It involves surface crochet and chains; creating loops all over the cream body parts.
Hopefully in the next couple of days I’ll be able to show a fleecier sheep. I’m going to try using sirdar’s snowflake yarn.