I’ve finished my second “Where’s Wally?” Hat. These are for costumes (pictures later this month).
My second attempt is a little more pleasing as the sides are a little tighter but both will do the job. No patterns just went with my Gut 🙂
I’m currently crocheting this shawl from a pattern in a magazine (issue 50 of “Inside Crochet”). I’m using my bargain cotton yarn I obtained at the weekend-Rowan Sienna 4 ply at half price!
Initially, the pattern seemed a bit fiddly but after a while the last three rows begin to repeat. This afternoon I found a rhythm and got quite a lot done. 🙂
So after a teeny tiny set back the other day, my blanket is now back on track.
The pinks and greens look lovely together and I think once it’s at the size I want I’ll attach 5 or so crocheted roses. At the moment I’m not exactly sure where I’ll be able to block the blanket but it will definitely need it.
Considering I only started my blanket a week ago I’m pleased with how much it’s grown. This is mainly because I’m ever so slightly obsessed!
Every spare moment, I seem to have the blanket on my lap and a crochet hook in my hand. It’s lovely that being so simple I can just crochet without having to keep looking at a pattern. At one point I wasn’t having to look.
Then last night, I realised I’d missed a space and had to frog a round and a half- and now these rounds are getting big! Overconfidence? A bit gutted, I’m giving myself a night off from the blanket.
But a night off from crocheting?
Tonight I shall start my “Where’s Wally?” hat. There is a purpose to this that will be revealed in due course. Here’s the wool I’m going to use.
A week ago I started to crochet two amigurumi figures, though I’ve only worked on them during the weekends. Someone I work with asked me if I could make a bride and groom. I said I probably could and set about looking for patterns. There are a few nice pins on pinterest but nothing that really took my fancy so I decided to design my own.
I’m pleased with the finished figures. I’m especially satisfied with the small flowers that I used on the groom and the bouquet (thanks Pinterest); the colour changes for the shirt, and the brides hair (which took most of last night). ￼
The parts that I found the most difficult to do were the faces. I’ve used wool for features in the past and it made the faces look ridiculous. This time l used thin thread which has worked much better. However, I do think that embroidery thread may have been the thread to have used… next time!
This is the first chance I’ve had to blog for a few days. I’ve had a really busy week and still seem to be catching up with myself -it was a great week though. 🙂
Even though I was working, training and commuting (not something I normally have to do) I still found time to crochet.
This is the start of my blanket that began working on on the train.
I’m also making a commissioned bride and groom. Hopefully, they will be complete tomorrow. I’ll post lots of pictures when I have better light.
Tonight, I’ve been working on the bride’s head and attaching hair.
For the next three days I’m on a course in Matlock, Derbyshire. The course sounds really interesting and it trains me up to carry out a reading intervention/programme called boosting reading potential. I’ll also be able to train others in the use of this programme.
Not being a driver (tried to learn
… gave up… at peace with this), I’ve travelled using bus and train. I love that there are so many convenient public transport links for me to use.
Knowing I’d have a fair bit of time to wait around, I threw a couple of balls of yarn, a hook and a pair of scissors in my bag. On the train, I crocheted the start of a blanket.
What I don’t get is why I felt so self conscious about crocheting in public. I was very sneaky and only crocheted when no one was looking (the train emptied out twice).
I know I can crochet, more than that I’m really quite good at it. Maybe boosting my confidence is something to work on for the next couple of days- proudly crocheting in public and not giving a second thought to what anybody else thinks! 🙂
I’ve not yet finished the basket I’m making but I’ve made progress that I’m happy with.
This is made from a long strip of fabric cut from an old quilt cover and pillow cases. It’s crocheting together nicely though it does require a little more physical strength (it feels like I’m using my whole arms).
I’m thinking I’ll be able to use my basket for balls of yarn that I’m using, rather than a carrier bag.
I love the fact that I’m repurposing something that would have ordinarily been thrown away. In addition to this making something that looks quite nice too. 🙂